BARRINGTON PARISH COUNCIL
Applications are invited for the post of
RESPONSIBLE FINANCIAL OFFICER
Working hours – approximately 6 hours per week
You will be joining the Parish Council at a very interesting time. Currently there are approx. 480 properties in the village, and this is to be increased by a housing development of 220 new homes which has resulted in the receipt of significant sums of S106 monies to improve a number of the village’s community facilities.
We are looking to appoint a Responsible Financial Officer reporting to the Chairman of the Finance Working Group and working with the Clerk to deal with all financial matters relating to the precept and the new funding.
You will principally work from home using the Barrington Parish Council provided laptop and have your own transport. Some evening work will be required as monthly Parish Council meetings occur at this time; attendance at other evening meetings will be infrequent and on an ad hoc, “as needed” basis.
The ideal candidate will be computer literate with good communication skills, as well as being able to plan and manage the workload in order of priority using their own initiative to meet deadlines. They will need to be proactive and motivated and able to demonstrate an ability to work constructively and accurately with a wide variety of stakeholders.
Experience of working in the public sector, and at Parish Council level is an advantage but not a pre-requisite. Experience in bookkeeping is essential and of using ’Scribe’ financial software (for which training can be provided).
The salary for the R.F.O. will be in accordance with the NJC scales: points 15-21 [pro rata £23,593 – £26,975 p.a.] but will depend on experience and qualifications.
Holiday entitlement and statutory pay requirements will be met. The Council supports attendance at training courses.
The closing date for applications is 5pm on Friday 16th September. Please send a covering letter and CV. Interviews will be held at a convenient date thereafter and the successful candidate will be expected to commence duties as soon as is possible.
A full job description is available on the Barrington Parish Council website or from the Clerk as below.
If interested, please contact:
Mrs Beckie Whitehouse
35 Priams Way
CB22 5DT firstname.lastname@example.org 01223 845328
JOB DESCRIPTION – Responsible Financial Officer
The Responsible Financial Officer of the Council (RFO) is under a duty to carry out all the Financial functions for the Council. The position reports to the Chairman of the Council’s Finance Working Group. The RFO is expected to work closely with the Clerk to the Council.
This is an exciting time in Barrington as the Parish Council begins various S106 project across the parish including the improvement of village facilities for sport and recreation.
As the Responsible Financial Officer (RFO) the jobholder will:
- Carry out all the statutory functions, ensuring the implementation of, and compliance with the Council’s Financial Regulations.
- Ensure that such information, as directed by the Finance Working Group and the Council is available on the date required to meet the Clerk’s timetable for Council meetings.
- Ensure that an annual financial risk assessment is undertaken, documented, and submitted to the Council.
- Ensure that there are procedures in place to record all financial transactions, income, and expenditure together with assets and liabilities.
- Ensure that there are procedures in place to ensure the correct and timely payment or receipt of invoices.
- Be responsible to produce the Council’s year end accounts and the relevant sections of the AGAR (Annual Return) as required by law.
- Ensure that the independent internal auditors report is submitted to the Finance Working Group and Council upon receipt and produce recommended changes to procedures and Financial Regulations as necessary.
- Ensure that the Council’s bank accounts are monitored and reconciled in accordance with the Council’s Financial Regulations.
- To monitor the Council’s cash flow and advise the Finance Working Group and Council of recommended actions.
- Be responsible for the production and distribution of regular management accounts required for the Finance Work Group and as directed by the Council. Monitor and explain any variance between budgeted items and actual cost.
- Be responsible for co-ordinating the Council, Working Groups, Members, and other Officers in the production of the Council’s annual budget.
- Advise the Finance Working Group and Council as to the adequacy of its reserves having regard to the Council’s risk assessments.
- Advise the Finance Working Group and Council as to the affordability of projects.
- Ensure that all VAT (Value Added Tax) returns and other HMRC deductions are submitted correctly and on time.
- Be responsible for the accurate and timely production of the Council payroll, payment of wages, salaries, pensions, deductions, and submission of data to HMRC or via the use of an approved outsourced supplier.
- Maintain a complete set of accounts for each S106 project. This will include receipts, obtaining payment authorisations, timely payments to third parties, monitoring and reporting on the Bank balance for each project.
Barrington Parish Council 12/08/22