Barrington Parish Council
Training and Development Policy
Barrington Parish Council recognises that training and development for Councillors and employees is a
major investment in its ability to deliver effective services and will seek to create a culture of continuous
development. It will: –
1. Provide adequate training budgets to achieve its objectives.
2. Reimburse all reasonable expenditure incurred whilst attending training on behalf of and approved
by the Parish Council.
3. Encourage and support the development of knowledge, skills and abilities and recognise there is
4. Provide necessary opportunities, resources, and support to enable employees to attain and maintain
the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
5. Include all forms of learning designed to improve the performance, abilities and potential of
Councillors and employees.
6. Give priority to those activities necessary to meet the Council’s objectives.
7. Ensure that training opportunities and resources are provided to employees in an equitable and fair
way and relate to identified needs.
8. Ensure that the appraisal system for employees will address training and development needs and set
annual targets, if appropriate.
9. Provide Induction training for all newly elected Councillors and additional specific training will be ongoing, either in-house or outsourced.
10. Expect all employees to attend training and development where the Council deem appropriate.
11. Expect employees to apply positive attitudes and action in their training and development and to
assist the Parish Council’s objectives.
Adopted April 2021
Review date 202